Where Would You Like To Go?

September 29, 2013

Fear (Part 2)


If you missed part 1 check it out here.

Over the past two years, fear has become a common enemy to me.  It makes me want to compromise, run away, or throw my hands up in defeat.  I can't grasp how fear can be a part of this dream of being a missionary, of being where He has called me to live my life.  How do I live my life when I can not speak fluently?

I recently read this via a blog...
"Every time I get ready to try something new I hear the question, “What if it doesn’t work?” And the answer is, of course, “I’ll look like a fool.” Over time I’ve come to believe this—that’s not a good enough reason not to do it.  Sometimes looking like a fool comes with the territory of God-sized dreams.  Noah built an ark. Moses wandered in the desert. Jesus hung on the cross. And those who watched shook their heads and muttered words like “failure” and “fool.” Little did they know. Is that you today? Have you stepped out in faith and wondered why you feel like a fool? Have you come across failure like a roadblock in your path? Keep going, friend.  Instead of fleeing from the feeling of being foolish, lean into it.  And what seems like your most foolish moments may turn out to be your wisest. As Jim Elliot said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”...Don’t give up. Or give in. Or compromise. Or quit.  You’re going to make it. And it’s going to make you…not into a fool, not into a failure, but into a victorious follower. " Holly Gerth

I believe this is truth - that it is backed with Scripture...I am not to where I can say I live it out as truth - at least not every day - but I do believe it. 
God has also spoken quite loudly to my heart that His Spirit and a spirit of fear do not coexist - they oppose one another.  He has given me His Spirit - one that is full of power, love, and self control (2 Timothy 1:7).  I know that He works all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Romans 8:28).  I am very aware that the Malagasy language keeps me humble - there seems to be no room whatsoever for pride.  Perhaps that's part of this picture - part of this calling.  He's reminding me yet again that in my weakness, His power is made perfect (2 Corinthians 12:9). 
Thankful for victory over fear - grateful that I know I can claim it in Jesus' name and that it is mine for the taking.  Joyous over the Spirit He has given me as His child - one that is full of His power, His love, and His self control.  Humbled that He desires for His fruit to grow in my life and that He never gives up on me.  
Blessed to know that His PERFECT LOVE drives out ALL fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share any thoughts or questions you have!