Where Would You Like To Go?

February 20, 2013

A Sweet Fragrance

Steve and I were reading in Leviticus this past week and in case you aren’t aware, it starts out with God giving Moses the laws for every type of offering you can think of.  In the middle of very detailed laws, what kept speaking to my heart was this phrase, “…an offering by fire of a soothing aroma to the LORD…”  This phrase was repeated over and over again throughout the first few chapters. 
As we read the details of each type of offering, I was thankful in a new way for the Sacrifice that covers each of my sins.  At the same time, the Lord spoke to me about what is considered a “soothing aroma” to Him.  We are free from the laws of the offerings that were needed by the people who lived during the Old Testament times, however, I believe there is much to learn from them.  Now, I am not a seminary grad or a theological scholar but I do believe sacrifices by fire are still a pleasing aroma to our Savior. 
I think that when He leads us to refinement by fire it is an opportunity to walk closer, grow more intimate, and to “smell” better for Him.  Fire is hot and it burns – this much I know.  Think of all the items that are immersed in fire (by someone who knows what they are doing) and they come out far more beautiful than when they went in.  When we are in “the fire” there is no one for us to rely on, talk to, or counsel with except the One who is holding us while we are in it.  He won’t leave us in too long but He won’t take us out too early either.  Only when we are molded and shaped for His purposes…then we too shall be “…an offering by fire of a soothing aroma to the LORD…”
This reminded me of one of the first verses I memorized that was not a “typical” memorization verse (aka – John 3:16, Romans road, etc).  2 Corinthians 2:14-16 – my mom would write on notes or would verbally remind me to be “a sweet fragrance” throughout my day.  It has stuck with me my whole life and even now He is still teaching me about what that should look like.
 "But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ’s triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.  For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.  To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task?"
Be a sweet fragrance today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share any thoughts or questions you have!