Where Would You Like To Go?

October 20, 2011

Nice Platitudes

I was reading a Christian magazine that my mom had passed along through one of our care packages and came across a statement that has really had me thinking.  The author, referring to different Scripture references, said that most of us consider some verses as "nice platitudes" instead of commands from God Almighty.  I just had to ask myself if I regarded God's Word as such.  My immediate answer is a resounding "NO!" but I wondered if anyone looking in on my life would say the same. 
Do I:
~ turn the other cheek? Matt 5:39 
~ show my right hand to my left hand? Matt 6:1-4
~ seek His kingdom 1st? Matt 6:33
~ not worry about tomorrow? Matt 6:34
~ pray believing I will recieve? Mark 11:20-26
~ judge others? Luke 6:37
~ allow my heart to be troubled? John 14:1
~ give grace to those who hear? Eph. 4:29
~ do all things without grumbling? Phil. 2:14
Oh and how the list could go on!
There's no second guessing here.  I know that I fall amazingly short of every single one of these at one time or another.  Whether it's a command that I daily fall short of or maybe one that happens every so often - it doesn't matter.  It's still a sin and to me it says that I'm not really "getting" that it's a command.  Perhaps I do sometimes live like these are suggestions or nice platitudes; that doesn't change the truth about what they are.  Each of these and countless others are a part of His infalliable Word.  His precious love letter He chose to give to us.  Honestly, I know several of these by memory, but somehow they're not always the words that pop in my head when faced with a situation in which to apply them.  The enemy is talented.  He is cunning.  He is out to destroy.  Thankfully there is a command that I can cling to...
"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleans us from all unrighteousness."
 1 John 1:9 
Grateful for a faithful Father when I am such an unfaithful child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share any thoughts or questions you have!