Where Would You Like To Go?

May 29, 2013

Reflections part 2

I struggled before I left Mada with what I would say when people in MS asked me about our time on the field.  How do you put almost 2 years worth in a few short phrases?  I knew by heart the verse in Scripture I would go to because I had continually run to it over and over during our time so far in Mada - 2 Corinthians 12:9 "My grace is sufficient for you".  And as always, even in giving responses to questions, His grace was there.


Questions and comments such as, "How on earth do you do it?  I could never live over there!"  "What's it like in Mada?"  "We pray for you daily, because we can't imagine living anywhere else."  "You are inspiring, I could never leave my family and travel over there."

In some form or fashion these were the most likely phrases that were brought up in conversation.  Some made me want to laugh and I often did because "inspiring" should never be a word used to describe us. Trust me, if you had a window into our home every day you'd see that we stumble, fall, and sin just like anyone else if not more than.  Others made me just shake my head because I totally understood - ha- there are days that even I can't imagine living where I do!  Oh, and leaving family?  Yeah, it's hard - guaranteed.  We do love them and are not purposefully trying to get as far away as possible.

But overall, my answer was and will always be - because of His grace.
It is sufficient.
He is my portion.
He is our refuge, our salvation, His ways are higher than our own.
After listening to myself a few times I realized that my answers would definitely be considered "Sunday School" answers.  It was in that moment that I understood that Sunday School answers should actually be called "Real Life" answers.  Those answers that we memorized as children are His TRUTHS.  They should not be dismissed or thought of as cliche "go to" answers.  They have become the things I cling to when everything or nothing makes sense.  I know for a fact that I could not do it on my own.  So, I didn't change my answers - why should I?  The Author of language wrote those answers and they are unchanging.
Those steadfast words are the beautiful whispered phrases from my Anchor to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please share any thoughts or questions you have!